After the wide-spread fame of the Self Balancing Scooters or “Hoverboards”, a lot of people actually started complaining of the batteries getting short-circuited, and while at first, it seemed like an isolated issue…
but then it became really common in an awful lot of hoverboards.
By early 2018, things got so out of hand that the CPSC announced an Official recall of the Hoverboards. CPSC is basically the Consumer Product Safety Commission of United States.
The recall basically meant over half a million hoverboard units going back until they are fixed and sent back. This recall was for the 8 main and famous manufacturers, and the combined number of 15 different models were affected.
While it didn’t seem like a big deal, the property damage that occurred because of the hoverboards ended up reaching $2 million in property damage.
The hoverboards that are now present in the market come with a message that these are safe, and can be used without any issues.
For an average consumer, finding the best hoverboard in the market can be a bit difficult, considering how famous and popular the hoverboards have become. To address that issue, we are going to talk about the best electric hoverboards that currently available in the market. These hoverboards are available from different companies and have different models in order to keep the customers satisfied.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at all the amazing best hoverboards 2018.
We have been told that choosing the right hoverboard has been a difficult task, mainly because of the wide variety of options available in market as well as the early controversy surrounding these hoverboards, but we can assure you that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the hoverboards that are currently in the market, and if you are still having some doubts, make sure you through this entire list, and in addition to that, check out the definition and pretty much everything about the UL2722 certification you can find.
Needless to say, you won’t be having second thoughts anymore.
1. Halo Rover – Best Hoverboard to Buy in 2018
The most capable hoverboard on our list, we have the Halo Rover All-Terrain hoverboard. With its high-density aluminum fender wings, large all-terrain tires, and max weight limit of 264 lbs, the Halo Rover is an absolute beast of a hoverboard.
It comes packed with every feature you would want into an amazing looking hoverboard. It even features No Fall Technology in the form of Ride-Assist, which keeps the hoverboard upright and balanced at all times while it’s turned on.
This hoverboard has the highest rated customer reviews in the industry, a 1-year warranty, and stellar customer service. So not only do you get a superb quality UL2272 hoverboard, but you get the backing of a great company that’s willing to help you out when you need it.
The Halo Rover comes with many high-ends features so let’s look at all the perks and advantages below:
- The Halo Rover is UL 2272 Certified and comes with their UL Certified FireSafe LG Battery for years of worry-free use.
- Comes equipped with built-in Bluetooth speakers to play music, as well as powerful front LED headlights and rear brake lights to keep you visible at all times.
- Comes with No Fall Ride-Assist Technology, and includes a free hard-shell carry case.
- The Halo Rover has wide 8.5-inch tires and powerful dual 400w motors that allow you to ride over dirt, grass, uneven terrain, as well as smooth surfaces with ease.
- Comes with its own app that allows you to track battery life, mileage, and location, as well as giving you access to 3 riding modes, including a training mode.
- The Halo Rover offers a maximum speed of up to 10 mph and a range of up to 10 miles
- This hoverboard has been IPX4 Certified for water and dust resistance.
After doing an extensive review on all the top hoverboards, the Halo Rover we easily ranked the #1 Hoverboard. It is the safest and best hoverboard today due to its advanced features. With Bluetooth, Mobile APP, Free Carry Bag and Safety Certified Batteries the Halo Rover takes the crown as the Top Hoverboard to Buy.
In addition, their exclusive Ride-Assitance Technology also helps riders learn and prevent falling which is the icing on the cake.
2. SwagTron T1 – Who doesn’t know SwagTron?
The first self-balancing scooter we are going to look at today is the Swagtron T1, and for those who don’t know, Swagtron happens to be one of the leading brands in the hoverboard business, and actually, have a lot of different models under their belt.
The T1 can be considered as a high-end model because it does feature some of the best things you will need in hoverboard.
Now, this is a UL2272 certified hoverboard, and in case you didn’t know, the UL2272 certification basically means that it is completely safe from any battery issues that resulted in the fire controversy that happened back in China when the hoverboard first became available.
To get this certification, every hoverboard of this model or every hoverboard going for this certification is put under a number of tests in order to determine the safety.
There are several tests performed on a hoverboard in order to make sure everything is in right place. Before we begin, you can read some of the advantages below:
- Comes with UL 2272 certification ensuring maximum satisfaction and security.
- Offers a top speed of 8+ mph that ranges to 12+ miles
- Comes equipped with a 300-watt dual electric scooter motor.
- The rechargeable lithium-ion battery lasts up to 2-3 hours on a single full charge.
- Comes equipped with LED headlights, battery indicators, rubber bumpers, and a lightweight body.
- Swagtron T1 comes with a patented SentryShield battery technology, and also comes with a smart battery management system that monitors and protects the battery.
Overall, speaking from a personal point of view, the Swagtron T1 happens to be one of the most comfortable, and most amazing hoverboards you can currently buy.
Sure, you can spend a little more and get the T3 model, but whether or not you need the extra bling like Bluetooth speakers, a handle, and some additional visual changes, the decision is up to you.
As for the Swagtron T1, it’s a perfectly capable hoverboard that offers amazing value for money, smooth riding, lightweight design, and a value for your money. Needless to say, it certainly is a top pick.
3. Segway miniPRO – Self-Balancing Transporter with Mobile Application
The next up we have something super premium for you, for those who want to go all out with their money and buy the best of both worlds. Seriously, though, one look at the Segway miniPRO and you realize that you absolutely want this beast of a hoverboard.
Much like Swagtron, Segway also happens to be a leading manufacturer in the business of hoverboards, however, their miniPRO is a lot different than your usual, run off the mill hoverboards, and that is something for the good.
It packs a lot of features that will suit the needs the advanced and power users. The hoverboard itself is available in 2 colors; the black, and white color and both have red accents on them. In addition to the color, the hoverboard also comes with a handle, something a lot of people would like.
As per the norm, let’s take a look at the advantages of the Segway miniPRO.
- The Segway miniPRO can be connected to your phone using the Bluetooth and the free app that is available. You can then use the app for features such as; remote control operation, anti-theft alarm, speed control, customizable lights, vehicle diagnostics, and firmware updates
- Much like the Swagtron T1, the Segway miniPRO also offers UL2272; this means that your hoverboard is rated with the highest possible safety.
- The hoverboard can handle a payload of up to 220 lbs, the overall exoskeleton is light-weight, and made out of durable aircraft-grade magnesium alloy. The hoverboard also offers10.5-Inch pneumatic air-filled tires that are capable of delivering military grade shock absorption to the user.
- The hoverboard is equipped with a dual motor engine that is capable of delivering 1600 watts of power all of this makes the hoverboard capable of reaching 10 MPH and distance of 14 miles when charged fully, though the numbers may vary on different terrains.
- There is a padded knee bar in order to provide maximum comfort along with the ability to give precision steering for better control than hoverboards that are dependent on foot-pivot steering.
To be very honest, apart from the price tag, there isn’t anything wrong with Segway miniPRO.
Yes, it’s going to cost you a lot of money, but looking at the construction, and the sheer quality of construction of this bad boy, you’re left wondering whether or not this is a transformer in hiding. Needless to say, the Segway miniPRO is one of the best self-balancing scooters you can buy.
4. SWAGTRON T580 – Best Hoverboard in Terms of Features
Hoverboards are still very popular despite many people claiming that the fad is over. Why else would we have something like SWAGTRON T580 hit the market. This lightweight hoverboard is made with care, ensuring that the user has the best possible experience while using it. During my time with the hoverboard, I had a great time with it; the hoverboard’s construction was solid and I did not feel like it was going to break, in addition to that, I love the fact that user has access to hoverboard through the app.
The hoverboard offers an eco-friendly mechanism that ensures that there is no carbon emission, buyers will also get smart and effective battery management system thanks to the patented Sentry Shield technology that ensures that the battery is managed properly, and does not discharge unnecessarily. Sentry Shield also ensures that the battery remains protected against fire or heat hazards that was the case in some of the earlier models of the hoverboards.
The hoverboard supports a weight up to 220 pounds, and under. In addition to that, SWAGTRON T580 comes with Bluetooth speakers that you can use to connect your device with it to play music. Not to forget, you can even connect your hoverboard with an app; the app allows you to check the navigation, battery life, and even control the music while you are using the hoverboard.
For the safety conscious users, the SWAGTRON T580 does come with UL 2272 certification, so you will not have to worry about the same fire hazard that plagued the early versions of the hoverboards. The T580 takes 2 hours to charge. In addition to that it offers IPX4 water protection, so for users who are worried about damaging their hoverboard in water, there is no need for that.
As far as the design and build quality of the SWAGTRON T580 is concerned, I have to say that I really like it. The build quality is definitely solid as compared to some of the other products available in the market, and the design is just the right amount of minimalist, and sleek. You have three colours to choose from – red, black, or blue.
There are really not too many downsides to this amazing hoverboard; the fact that the hoverboard can travel up to 8 miles on a single charge can be a letdown for some people considering how it is comparatively low when put against some of the competing hoverboards, but it is not bad by any means.
In conclusion, the SWAGTRON T580 is a really great hoverboard that does not let the minor inconvenience such as the lower travel distance to hold it down. It works as it is intended, and delivers a solid performance. Given the price tag; I believe it is a great self-balancing scooter.
5. Swagtron T6 – Best Hoverboard for Off-Road Use
SWAGTRON has been among the leading companies to make some of the best hoverboards for a while now. Seriously, I have not seen the same level of impressive hoverboards from any other company so far. It is almost like a monopoly. And today I am looking at the SWAGTRON T6, one of the very few hoverboards that are made for different terrains.
The first look, and you will know that the company paid extra attention to detail; the hoverboard is made using quality material, and looks very rugged. After checking the specifications out, I figured out the reason behind such a rugged construction; the hoverboard supports up to 420 pounds. Other hoverboards often support maximum 220 pounds so 420 is nearly double of what I expected to see in the market.
This hoverboard comes with a built in carrying handle, allowing you to easily carry it anywher you want. Keep in mind that the hoverboard is somewhat on the heavier side as compared to a non-rugged hoverboard that are made for plain terrains. Users also get safety features such as LED lights, as well as non-slip pads that ensure that the hoverboard does not start slipping when not in use.
For those concerned about rapidity, the hoverboard has speed of up to 12 mph, while it might not seem like a lot, it is actually above the typical average of 6 – 8 mph. Safety features such as the U 2272 certification as well as the Sentry Shield battery protection that ensures complete safety are available in the hoverboard.
6. SwagTron T3 – Expensive yet AWESOME
Remember the highly praised SwagTron T1 we reviewed earlier?
Yes, the SwagTron T3 is the upgraded model of the T1, and it’s better than ever. What has changed? Well, compared to the T1, not much has changed in the design department but you do get features such as LED lights, Bluetooth speakers that can sync with your phone, and some additional features. Early rumors suggested that there will be a handle involved as well, but it seems like there isn’t one.
So, is the SwagTron T3 a worthy upgrade over the T1? Well, let’s find out.
- The hoverboard comes with the much needed UL 2272 certification that ensures that the hoverboard won’t spontaneously combust. The hoverboard itself has gone through the extensive safety tests that are deemed necessary by the government.
- The hoverboard offers a maximum speed of 8+ mph and has a range of 7-12 miles, completely dependent on the users.
- There are two 300-watt motors that are used in some of the high-ends electric scooters.
- The lithium ion battery back that powers the hoverboard can be charged in 2 to 3-hour maximum and doesn’t heat up at all.
- The hoverboard also has a built-in Bluetooth speaker that can seamlessly sync with your mobile phone, in addition to that, the hoverboard also comes with LED headlights, rubber bumpers, battery indicators, as well as an overall sturdy and light weight shell.
- Much like the SwagTron T1, the T3 also come with the patented SentryShield technology as well intelligent battery management that ensures the hoverboard operates safely without any issues.
While on paper, the SwagTron T3 may not be the fastest, most advanced hoverboard in the market, but it’s the features like the SentrySheid technology as well as the price to performance that makes this a worthy purchase. For those who are wondering if this is better than the T1, well, that’s just subjective. It does have some features that are obviously missing from the T1, but whether or not you’ll be needing them is completely up to you.
The next hoverboard on our list can be considered special because the company itself claims that this is the world’s smartest hoverboard in the market, and while the claim does seem ambitious enough, you are left but wondering what exactly is there in the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 that makes it the smartest hoverboard to step into the market.
Well, don’t worry, you are not the only one who is looking to uncover the truth as we are going take a proper in-depth look at just how good the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 is.
Let’s get right into the review, and find out some of the good things, shall we?
- Considering some of the early incidents surrounding the hoverboards, every hoverboard now requires a UL2272 certification. This certification means that the hoverboard is actually fitting on all the safety instructions that are given by the government and will not spontaneously catch fire or have its batteries short circuit.
- The Razor Hovertrox 2.0 offers an impressive cruising speed of 8+ mph and comes with dual 350-watt motors that are both silent and efficient.
- The Hovertrox 2.0 is capable of running up to 60 minutes on a full charge, and while the duration isn’t the best, it’s still commendable. However, you should keep in mind that the riders weight will also matter and will be put into consideration when measuring the total run time.
- The Razor Hovertrax 2.0 comes with LG battery, the good thing about this hoverboard is that the batteries can be easily changed, so even if you run out of them while you are out and about, you can change them without any hassle and continue having a phone. For those who are willing to know some technical specifications, these batteries are 36V and are made by LG.
- This is where the things get interesting, the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 comes with Razor’s own EverBalance technology. Through this technology, the hoverboard can actually level itself, and while it may seem like a gimmick, it allows the user to easily stand on it, and ride it when ready.
- Last but not the least, the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 comes with features such as blue LED light bar display, fender bumpers, LED battery power indicator, as well as two entirely different riding modes that are suitable for beginners as well as advanced users.
While we won’t award the Razor Hovertrax 2.0 any groundbreaking awards, the fact that it is one of the most feature packed and one of the best hoverboards in the market can’t be denied, it certainly doesn’t come cheap, but it’s definitely amazing, ad neck to neck with a lot of other hoverboards that are priced in the same category.
Can Razor Hovertrox 2.0 target them and still be a worthy purchase? Definitely.
8. VEEKO Hoverboard – Best Hoverboard for Budget Conscious Users
If you are looking for a hoverboard that will not break the bank, and still give you all the basic functionalities, then the VEEKO Hoverboard is what you are looking for. The VEEKO Hoverboard is actually one of the cheapest hoverboards I have reviewed so far. Is it the best hoverboard for budget conscious users? Let’s find out.
Considering the low price tag, the contents of the box were not shocking for me; you get the hoverboard itself, a charging cable, an instructional manual and that is about it. The low price tag means that you are not going to get any fancy accessories, and I’m perfectly fine with that. There are good things in this hoverboard like a solid construction and a minimalistic design. This is by no means a hoverboard designed for off-road terrains, but it does a good job at working on plain terrains.
The hoverboard does come with the U 2272 certification, and the reason why I am mentioning this in every review is because this more or less has become a benchmark of the hoverboard that you should buy or avoid. In case you are not aware, the earliest batches of hoverboard had safety issues, and that is why this certification has become so important in every single hoverboard that I test. I do not want the consumers to risk their safety.
Moving on, the hoverboard does not take a lot of time to charge, and when you are not using it, the hoverboard turns itself off to preserve battery. This is certainly a nifty feature that should be made more common in all the hoverboards, because preserving the battery is necessary to say the least because you don’t want to be spending more time charging the hoverboard than using it. If you are looking for a hoverboard to give to a kid, or if you are looking for a beginner hoverboard, then this is a great option; it is cheap, has a decent build quality, and has the U 2272 certification.
However, I must mention that there are some downsides as well; for starters, the VEEKO Hoverboard comes without any water protection, Bluetooth speakers, or an app. The maximum speed of 6 mph is nothing to write home about.
9. Hoverzon S – Self Balancing Scooter
Now, we are standing at a point where no amount of innovation in standard hoverboards can be done. You can add LED lights, or Bluetooth powered speakers, and that would be it.
However, if you think you want to go a bit further, you can always look at examples such as the Segway miniPRO but do keep in mind that the price on that hoverboard is nearly the double of the standard issue hoverboards. Today, we are going to look at the Hoverzon S; on close inspection, it can easily be said that this particular hoverboard is based on the tried and true, no-nonsense design and features just the right amount of stuff that would be it for the user buying a hoverboard.
As for the price, it is priced same as pretty much every other hoverboard on our list, and that is certainly a good thing because it gives the consumer a lot of options without having the need to stretch their budget. However, the company does claim that there is an “exclusive” feature built right into the hoverboard, and we’ll see whether or not that feature makes it the hoverboard of your choice.
Roll out the advantages, shall we?
- The Hoverzon S features an exclusive ‘aegis armor” that provides a multilayer protection to the battery. Although it may sound gimmicky, but it can actually protect the battery against certain bumps.
- Like all the other hoverboards on our list, this one also comes with the much needed UL2272 certification, meaning that the hoverboard is completely safe against issues such as catching fire or getting short-circuited.
- The hoverboard features a fireproof exterior casing as well as the sensor pedals.
- The company claims that the Hoverzon S comes with a top tier motor, as well as a feature such as gear stabilization that is present in the hoverboard in order to provide a very stable, and responsive control.
- The Hoverzon S also features a rather innovative battery management system that can smartly help improve the overall battery performance as well as a top of the line battery management.
- Last but not the least, the Hoverzon S comes with 2 different speed modes that are suitable for either the beginners or the experts the switching between these modes can be done on the fly and it is actually really, really convenient for the beginners.
While there aren’t any improvements in this hoverboard when you compare it with the others, the Aegis armor along with the battery management surely makes it one of the better hoverboards win the market. In addition to that, the hoverboard is available in a total of 6 colors, and all of the colors are priced the same.
Needless to say, you won’t have to pay a bit more just to have a different color.
While the name of the hoverboard is certainly an odd one, the good thing is that XtremepowerUS has been in the business for some time, and have manufactured some great hoverboards in a cost effective price range. Since this hoverboard is on the budget side, I will be keeping in mind that I am reviewing a budget hoverboard.
The product focuses on being energy efficient, and allows you to travel 6 miles on a single charge. While it might not be the highest number you will see, it is still respectable considering the price tag. The maximum load is 200 lbs. Again, not the highest number, but this will be perfect for the most users.
The hoverboard does come with the basic certification, but what is surprising here is the inclusion of LED lights for signaling purposes. This is not a feature that you see often on a cheaper hoverboard, so it is definitely a good thing to see here. Another surprising thing on this hoverboard is Bluetooth speakers, surprising because this feature is mostly missing from budget-oriented hoverboards.
XtremepowerUS does not come without some shortcomings; for starters, the hoverboard really suffers on the rough terrain, and that can be an issue for people who are living in areas that are slightly on the rougher side, and not to forget the fact that it can only support weight limit of 200 lbs, and lastly, no water protection.
These are the only inconveniences that I noticed with the XtremepowerUS hoverboard. Other than that, it is a great hoverboard if you want to buy it for a younger sibling, or your kid, or you want to gift it to a kid. The basic functionality is there, and it does not come loaded with the advanced features such as water protection. This is not a bad hoverboard by any means, it is just very basic.
Self Balancing Scooter Buyer’s Guide
For those who don’t know, a Self-Balancing Scooter or commonly known as a “Hoverboard” is perhaps one of the most popular technologies right now.
In case you people didn’t know, it’s not as old as some would remember.
The technology behind a Hoverboard?
Before we go into the origins of this strange looking device that has taken the world by storm, let’s take a look into what it exactly is:
A hoverboard is basically a board with one wheel at each end, the board in the middle itself actually serves as a platform for the person to stand on, and for those who don’t know, the board in the middle is basically split into two portions so the rider can easily stand on them.
Now yes, the hoverboard is powered by the rechargeable batteries that go inside it, but a lot of people wonder about the technology that moves them in whatever direction the rider wants them to move; well, this is where the good stuff happens; both portions where a person is supposed to stand are equipped with gyroscopic sensor pads, and if you don’t know what a gyroscopic sensor does, read the definition below:
By standard definition a gyroscope is basically a spinning wheel or a disk, on this wheel, the axis of rotation is actually able to freely move in any direction or orientation it wants. While the movement is happening, the axis of rotation will remain unaffected even if the whole apparatus is moved or tilted.
The Origin of Self Balancing Scooter
The first sighting of hoverboards started in China in 2014, and soon after that, the device started getting increasingly popular in 2015.
The craze and the hype were so intense that celebrities of all sorts of type started endorsing these hoverboards, and they soon exploded into the mainstream all over the word.
However, the interesting bit is that there is no universally accepted name of these hoverboards, and most of the names you will be seeing on this list are basically based on some of the attributes that are given to them by the companies that distribute them instead of manufacturing them.
Top Rated Hoverboards
Last update on 2018-04-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Related Buyer’s guides and Beasts Lists: